THIS IS STEVEE's 1st LIVEBLOG!!!
I AM 'LIVE-BLOGGING' Meet The Press THIS MORNING!!!
- "WHAT A WEEK" - Tim
Tim has LOTS of ex Chiefs-of-Staff of PREZ's. Frankensteiny Duderstein, LOU 'PINELLA' PINETTA,
Reagan Dude, Carter Dude [ed: Hamilton Jordan]??? Duberstein WAS Reagan's C-o-S! He's saying Bush doesn't need "a hail mary pass" to save himself..."work on it day in and day out". How about day-in-day-out Hail Maries?! cyanide capsule?
Michael "Floss Like a Boss" Beschloss is definitely in the house today. MB is a useful guest for his churning hand movements, which "constantly historicize"—he is a Presidential historian, you see. He is constantly massaging the present back into the larger lump of clay we call Time/History...I think that one big ole UNORDERED LIST IS IN ORDER??
- DUDERSTEIN IS GETTING LAUGHED OFF THE MTP SET FOR SAYING—"Every President deserves a Mulligan!". Ronald Reagan "Did not trade arms for hostages". Bill Clinton "Did not have sexual relation with that woman". Politicians often lie and then get caught in those lies, and these lies provide a lot of work for people like Leo Panetta/Hank Duderstein.
- Duberstein re: Miers nomination/Bush indeptedness 2 Da Right Radical Right thought Reagan was their darling too back in the 80s...he sometimes 'let them down'. what Reagan learned was "the Radical Right doesn't want to be satisfied. They want to be discontent so that they can raise money on that discontent". hmm...that is kinda crazy!!!
- every time Beschloß is asked a question it begins with "Michael, what does history tell us about _____________" Beschloss says a troubled president should find something in their heart they really care about and are good at, throw themself into that. Look for Bush II Golf Initiatives coming down the pipe.
- OK...commercial break. Is any of this making any sense? I am live-blogging Meet the Press, 10/30/05. With the indicitment of Scooter Libby there is a lot of political news about. Tim Russert says he is going to discuss e'erything, including the involvement of "yours truly" after the commercial break
- Timmeh Russert was lied to by Scooter Libby. They talked on the phone 10 July, 2003. But, wait, Dick Cheney told Scooter Libby about Valerie Plame in June!!! Libby couldn't have learned it from Russert!!! a-HA!!! Basil Rathbone, etc.
- I am getting stoked about the upcoming panel of talkin' headz. it looks like Judy Wood-Ruff, David "Old Bill Sykes" Brooks, David "Robert Frost" Broder, y uno más—UPDATE: WILLIAM 'STUDS TERKEL/NOODLES from UHF' SAFIRE
- Broder slowly, angrily pronounces "DISREMEMBER"
- Safire is hacking around with his machete, slowly dying, uttering Talking Points on his death bed. rough quote "Most important point is the charges weren't what the investigation started with" [knowingly outing a CIA agent, whatev.]...obstruction of justice, perjury, etc. aren't crimes according 2 Bill Safire. this is revenge from the CIA. FUCK YOU, BILL SAFIRE! "Coverup of a non-crime"...what a fucking asshole
- During the Fitzgerald press conference, WHICH I HIGHLY RECOMMEND WATCHING ON C-SPAN, spec. invest. Fitzgerald explains why what Safire just said was bullshit. Judy Woodruff gladly caLLs bullshit on this.
- David Brooks!!! "Was there a dark, lurking conspiracy within the White House?...—NO!" he says "we do not have a cancer on the Presidency...if there would have been 5 indictments, it would have been over for them". this is lame damage control [w. characteristic D. Brooks pause/chuckle/headshakes]
- David Broder thankfully disagrees with David Brooks. "War in Iraq is a bleeding wound".
- Brooks: "Disease is not corruption...this is not Watergate" umm...yeah David!!! "it's isolation and exhaustion"
- Safire [slowwwwly]: "the great thing about the 'Narrative' is that it changes...Narrative will be the Comeback...great news like Iraq constituion does not get reported because it is not part of the Narrative"...gee Bill...that sounds like a really good, intriguing...NARRATIVE
- we've hit a slow patch, though Russert did show a really awesome 1988 clip of Richard Nixon on MTP saying "you are totally fucked in your 2nd term. I was, Harry Truman was, Reagan sorta was...". Panel was laughing when they cut back to them, as if remembering the hilarious days when an angry, old Richard Nixon still haunted television
- oops...it's all over. Meet the Press is actually only like 50 mins. long. they wound down with some "1st amendment" issues. Tim Russert "felt uncomfortable" talking to a grand jury about his source. NBC resisted in court, but he had to testify. Bill Safire criticizes that while Patrick Fitzgerald is a media darling now, what is he actually doing and is it really a matter of National Security. I AM PEACE-ing THE F()CK OUT, SO...U DECIDE 2005...I am going to watch fuzzy Fiorentina v. Cagliari on awesome channel 25 now...hugz